Skip to Content

Potentially Liable Parties in a Motor Vehicle Accident Claim

June 10, 2020 Motor Vehicle Accident

Who Can You Sue for Damages after a Car Crash?

Potentially Liable Parties in a Motor Vehicle Accident ClaimIn the aftermath of a car, truck, or motorcycle accident, you typically look to the party driving the other vehicle (or his or her insurance company) to recover your losses. But is that the only potential source for compensation? What if the other driver is uninsured or has only minimal insurance coverage? What are your other options

As a general rule, most motor vehicle accident claims are based on a legal theory of negligence, which requires you to show that the person being sued failed to act reasonably, causing an accident that resulted in your injuries. However, the person you sue need not be the other driver. Here are examples of other parties who can have legal responsibility for a motor vehicle accident

  • An employer—If the at-fault driver was in the course of his or her employment, you may have a claim against the employer.
  • A provider of alcohol—Under dram shop and social host liability laws, you may be able to seek damages from a person or establishment that served alcohol to the at-fault driver. In Pennsylvania, you must prove that the person was visibly intoxicated when served.
  • The owner of the car—If the owner of the vehicle allowed someone to borrow it, knowing that the person either lacked the skills to drive or had a history of unsafe driving practices, you may be able to sue the owner.
  • The manufacturer of a defective product—You may have a product liability claim if you can show that careless product design or manufacturing practices caused the accident or contributed to your injuries.

Contact Barnard, Mezzanotte, Pinnie & Seelaus, LLP

At Barnard, Mezzanotte, Pinnie & Seelaus, LLP, we have protected the rights of personal injury victims in Pennsylvania since 1980. We offer a free initial consultation. We are currently communicating with clients by phone, text message, e-mail, and videoconference. To schedule an appointment, call us at 610-565-4055 or 302-594-4535 or contact us online.

Personal Service | Dedicated Advocacy | Cutting-Edge Technology