Ellen H. Kueny
Ellen Kueny focuses her practice on premises liability, products liability, insurance defense, breach of contract, breach of warranty litigation, financial services litigation as well as appeals. Ms. Kueny represents manufacturers, retailers, insurance companies and financial institutions. She has significant experience defending premises liability claims, lemon law, breach of warranty and consumer fraud claims against automobile manufacturers as well as products liability cases involving alleged defects in manufacture and design, and failure to warn claims against automotive and equipment manufacturers. She also has defended manufacturers and suppliers in asbestos litigation. She has extensive experience in all phases of personal injury litigation.
In addition, she has experience in insurance-coverage issues, including drafting and filing various declaratory judgment actions and providing opinions to carriers regarding potential bad-faith allegations. She has provided coverage opinions regarding a wide variety of matters, including interpretations of policy terms, indemnification provisions of contracts between contractors and sub-contractors and duties to provide notice of cancellation of policy or loss of coverage to additional insured or loss payees. Ms. Kueny also has significant experience in drafting summary judgment motions and appellate matters. She obtained two favorable opinions from the Delaware Supreme Court on behalf of automotive manufacturers, a favorable opinion from the Third Circuit Court of Appeals on behalf of a major retailer and has appeared before the Pennsylvania Superior and Pennsylvania Supreme Court.
Ms. Kueny has served as the liaison member of the Finance Committee and Pastoral Council of St. Vincent dePaul Church in Richboro, Pennsylvania. She and her husband have served as chairs of the PREP Fund, the major fundraising effort of St. Joseph Prep, a Jesuit high school in North Philadelphia. She has served as a board member of the Hone and School Association of St. Bede the Venerable School in Holland, Pennsylvania.
- New Jersey
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the District of New Jersey
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania
- St. Louis University School of Law, J.D., cum laude; St. Louis University Law Journal, Editorial Board
- University of Notre Dame, B.A., Economics, magna cum laude
Memberships / Associations
- NJ ICLE Speaker/trainer for Lemon Law Arbitration Certification
- Defended major national retailer and various financial institutions in premises liability and products liability litigation and other litigation matters.
- Obtained favorable opinion from the Third Circuit Court of Appeals on behalf of a major retailer.
- Provided legal analysis and opinions in a wide variety of contract matters including franchise agreements, indemnification agreements, insurance policies and construction, engineering and design professional liability policies in order to determine coverage and legal obligations for defense costs, attorney’s fees and settlement proceeds and duties to provide coverage to additional insured or loss payees.
- Filed various declaratory judgment actions on behalf of insureds as well as carriers and provided opinions to carriers regarding potential bad-faith allegations.
- Defended manufacturers, suppliers and employers in asbestos and toxic tort litigation.
- Defended automotive and equipment manufacturers in products liability cases involving alleged defects in manufacture, design and failure to warn claims.
- Significant experience defending and arbitrating lemon law, breach of warranty and consumer fraud claims against automobile manufacturers.
- Obtained two favorable opinions from the Delaware Supreme Court on behalf of automotive manufacturers on statute of limitations and damages issues in cases alleging lemon law and consumer fraud claims.
- Defended large international corporation against multimillion dollar breach of contract claim.
- Represented financing companies in breach of contract, replevin and consumer fraud disputes.
- Assisted in the defense of railroad cases involving claims by injured railroad workers under the Federal Employers Liability Act.